Frequently Asked Questions


1. Do I have to show Photo ID for elections now?

Yes, you must present an acceptable form of proof of identification in order to vote in Wisconsin. Typically this will be your driver’s license or a Wisconsin ID card.

2. What if I don’t have either a Wisconsin drivers license or an ID card?

Contact the closest DMV and ask them for a Wisconsin ID card. You can get one for free as long as you tell them you need it for voting purposes.

3. Do I have to show Photo ID if I want to vote absentee?

Contact the clerk – if you already have a copy of your photo ID on file you do not have to provide it again as long as you vote absentee. Anytime you vote in person you will need to show Photo ID.

4. What is the difference between Proof of Residence and Proof of Identification?

When you register to vote, you will be asked to show “Proof of Residence” – this document will need to have your current address on it. You can use your driver’s license, a utility bill or a paystub, typically. Proof of Identification will need to be shown each time you vote in order to prove who you are (photo ID).

Town Board

1. When are Town Board Meetings typically held?

Board Meetings are normally held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month, starting at 7:00 p.m. at the Gull Lake Town Hall.


1. When are Property Taxes due?

You can expect to receive your property tax statement sometime in December every year. You have the choice of paying the entire amount due or just the first half to the Town of Gull Lake Treasurer by January 31st. The second half of the taxes are due by July 31st and should be mailed to the Washburn County Treasurer. There are tear-off “coupons” on the bottom of the tax bill that you can send along with your payment to make sure it’s applied to the correct account.